Saturday, January 12, 2013

Cognitive Dissonance

STILL trying to find the time to write something about what I've been up to, in terms of things I've been reading, watching, and listening to. At first I thought I'd do one big post, but now I see that it'd have to be something broken up into parts. I haven't quite figured out how to break it up in the best way, buuuut, I'm working on it. Maybe a version of my ^5s posts I used to? I don't know.

Anyway. As much as I like breaking paradigms like Terry Tate, and try to fight being a walking stereotype on a daily basis, I'm always pleased and amused when someone notices it. What I'm not prepared for, however, is for someone to blatantly have their whole world turned upside down and to have them blue screen on me.

When I started working at this new job, they offered me a monetary incentive to buy an American car. Well, there was one American car I had been dreaming of for oh, about 4 or 5 years now. This one:



The Dodge Challenger. Yep, since they rebooted it in 2008, I wanted one, but couldn't afford to fork over the crazy amounts of cash needed for gas. Well, guess what, this year's model goes 27 mpg on the highway. That's right, bitches. 27 MPG! So, what did I do? Well, I took my happy ass down to the dealership, walked right up to the first guy there and told him that I wanted that car, and that if he could match my payments, then I'd drive off the lot with a new car, and he'd make a sale. The rest of the conversation went like this:

Salesdude: "Okay, a Challenger? Well, have you looked at anything el-"
Me: "No. And I don't want to. I want that car, and that car only."
Salesdude: "But have you consid-"
Me: "Nope. I want to test drive that. car. right. there."
Salesdude: "Right. I'll get the keys."

And he matched my payment, and I drove off the lot. It's a really awesome car. It's the stock version, sadly, I could've gotten better but didn't feel like paying for it, and the price difference was enough that I couldn't justify it. But man, a RWD muscle car with 305 HP? FUCK YES. It's a lot bigger than I'm used to, with my semi-typical love for sport compacts, but damn, it is dead sexy. I almost got white, thinking I'd be like Kowalski in Vanishing Point, but ended up with the charcoal grey. I've had it a month now, and every day I go out to it, as I'm walking up to it, I think in my head, "Who's the bad ass motherfucker driving this car with two thumbs? Aw yeah, this girl."

Well, last week I was going to a meeting with some of my members. I parked my car, got out, and as I was walking away from it, an older dude, maybe mid 50s, stops DEAD IN HIS TRACKS. He does a double take, and we proceed to have the following exchange:

Old dude: "Wait...is that...is that...YOUR CAR?"
Me: "Yep, that's mine."
Old dude: "Is that even a girl's car?"
Me: "Nope, and that's exactly why I bought it."

An awkward 5 minute conversation ensued in which we talked about specs, me being kind of a gear head, and how beautiful the car is. (I know.) He attempted to apologize for being misogynistic or sexist, but I didn't care. I kind of think that's the kind of reaction I was going for. Most people stare or are really surprised when they see me in it, getting out of it, or getting into it. I can't decide if it's because I'm Asian, a girl, or an Asian girl, or maybe it's because I'm usually wearing heels or knee high boots. In any case, it tickles me.

Manz has been dying for a new car ever since I got mine, and he's been debating on what car to get. He was thinking the new Mini that's due out this year, he likes the new Subaru BRZ, and he's also interested in the Lancer Ralli Art for the AWD. Being in the PNW, you need AWD, I guess. I told him I thought it'd be funny if the Asian girl drove the American car, and the big corn fed Midwestern dude drove the Japanese sport compact. That'd be seriously breaking paradigms, no?


No comments:

Post a Comment