Thursday, March 1, 2012

Captain Professor

As must be obvious, I have a great love for this man. He was my favorite Star Trek captain, and made a damnned fine Professor X. He's got a great sense of humor, he thinks one of the best things he's ever done was his appearance on Extras...well, the list goes on. I mean, if I HAD to get with an older dude, Patrick Stewart would be at the top of the list.



So a couple weeks ago, I saw this picture on Reddit:


It was at that time that I found out that he wore this shirt in honor of his mother, who worked her ass off to support him and was beaten on a daily basis by his father. Now, I don't truck with "feminists" mostly, because the term femi-nazi came about for a reason, and because, well, I've never gotten along well with women that call themselves feminists. But the sight of this man wearing this shirt in honor of his mother,no less, well, I was...I don't know. Pleasantly stunned? He talks openly about the fact that he lived in a very abusive household, and he's quoted as saying: "I was brought up in a very poor and very violent household. I spent much of my childhood being afraid."  I guess that's something I have in common with him - I spent much of my childhood being afraid, too.


Now that I think about it, it was that very fear that led me to all things sci fi and fantasy to begin with. I watched Star Trek because I hoped one day I might be able to leave the galaxy and get away from my family. I read comic books because I wished with every fiber of my being that one day I might be able to become a super heroine. I still wish that, as sad as that might sound. I should know better, though...most of the superheroes and heroines had a rough go of it, now that I think about it. Not one of them had a great life where everything was awesome all the time. Still, no matter how shitty things get, at the end of the day you're still a HERO. You know?







1 comment:

  1. this was a great read. i've tried to explain many times to clueless people why comic book characters have such an impact on some people. it's more than just somebody's got a cool gadget or amazing power. it's a constructive outlet for dealing with the shitty world around. plus, the characters have cool gadgets and amazing powers.

    ReplyDelete