Sunday, February 12, 2012

Karmin + SNL



So I just heard that Karmin was on SNL last night and was really excited and happy for them. I've been a big fan of theirs since just after they first covered "Look at Me Now". I went to go check for video of their performances, and found the videos on a hip hop website that will not be named.

I just have to say that I don't know why I ever read comments anymore except for on Reddit. However, I did read the comments that were posted after these videos, and most of the commenters agreed on two things. One, that Amy from Karmin swagger jacked Nicki Minaj big time. I guess I could maybe kind of see that from the videos, if you're really looking hard enough, or else if you're not the kind of person to form your own opinions and just want to nod your head when other people have opinions. The second thing they seemed to agree on was the general message of: "Hey fuck this white bitch, who the fuck does she think she is with her old school white girl style thinking she can rap?"  Those that liked her graced her with such backhanded compliments as, "She can sing, but I bet the guy writes all her shit." Wow.

Okay, look. I KNOW that there are ignint people out there no matter where you go or what you do. I personally thought it was cool that a white girl with some 40s throwback style could really sing and rap. But I guess that's not everyone's cup of tea. What I don't understand is why it is that even fans of the music industry prefer segregation. So, unless a white girl has more "hip hop style", then she's not accepted as a singer and hip hop artist in the hip hop community? Really? To me it looks like she's trying to break paradigms. She has her own look and unique style, but she has varied interests musically and expresses herself as such. She doesn't change her image to fit in with what she's SUPPOSED to look like. Karmin might be known for their hip hop and R & B covers, but based on their website and all of their cover songs and original music, they do seem to appreciate and perform other kinds of music, too.

I guess I'm just mad that people really want to act so ignorant. Maybe it was too much for me to hope that my fellow minorities wouldn't judge people like that when we're so often judged on a daily basis ourselves. Maybe they resent (like many people did in the beginning with Eminem) white people being able or willing to perform "our music".

Or maybe I'm a little mad myself, because I kind of know how it feels. Let me tell you guys a quick story. I like to sing, and of course deep down in my heart would love to make music for a living. However, because of the range of music I like to sing, whenever I sing in public, I've performed some Pat Benatar, old Mariah Carey, Beyonce, No Doubt, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and most recently Adele. When someone a few years back said, "Hey, you're really good. You should maybe be on American Idol and make music for a living. What kind of music do you think you'd do?" I said, "Probably hip hop or R & B. Those are my first loves." The person looked at me sort of blankly before replying, "But...you're Asian."

Sigh. What the fuck does that even mean?

2 comments:

  1. "Maybe it was too much for me to hope that my fellow minorities wouldn't judge people like that when we're so often judged on a daily basis ourselves."
    ^
    Do you know how many times I've had that same reaction to something? It's disappointing as hell. Some of us just never learn.

    "I personally thought it was cool that a white girl with some 40s throwback style could really sing and rap."
    ^
    Exactly! That's what I thought. I mean, I don't get the feeling that Amy is trying to pass herself off as something more than what she is. Is she Etta James or MC Lyte? No. She's Amy from Karmin and I'm cool with that.

    I know it's an open-ended statement, but fuck people. They're annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right...some of us do never learn. Ignorant is ignorant but it's still sad. And yes, fuck people because they are annoying, and they're stupid, too.

    ReplyDelete