Saturday, April 23, 2011

What's Beef?

So this week I learned that Tyler Perry and Spike Lee have been beefing for the last couple of years because Spike has continuously criticized Perry's work. Now I don't normally get involved in celebrity gossip, because honestly, I think our worship of celebrities and athletes goes way too far. It's one thing to be take an interest in someone's life and activities as it pertains to their work, if you're a fan of their work. It's quite another to obsessively follow their every move and talk about/judge their lives and actions as if they're actually people you know. And as if you actually have the right to judge someone like that. But I digress, since I've already ranted about this ad nauseum on this blog.
As I said, I just found out about their beef. Ordinarily I am a fan of Spike Lee's work. I appreciate what he's trying to do and the messages he tries to convey. I don't necessarily like every single thing he's done, but overall, I like him. He can be a little extreme at times, but hey, we live in a free country, right? As it so happens, I agree with his assessments of Tyler Perry's work. It's the lowest of the low, appealing to the lowest common denominator of the masses. I have never been a fan of Tyler Perry's work, and as a matter of fact I actually was pissed when I found out his presence would be contaminating Star Trek. Thankfully he had only a few lines. Other than that I've mostly ignored Tyler Perry and his work because, being the elitist pig I am, it doesn't appeal to me in any way, shape or form, on any level.
But this week, listening to radio on the way to work, and listening to Tyler Perry's rant about Spike Lee, I was PISSED. He actually had the nerve, the audacity, the SHEER UNMITIGATED GALL to compare himself to Booker T. Washington and W. E. B. Du Bois. Are you fucking kidding me? Seriously, Tyler Perry? SERIOUSLY?
Excuse me while I go bang my head on my desk several times. It's clear I'm missing something here. I must have misunderstood Tyler Perry from the beginning. Here I thought he was propagating stereotypes and bringing black people down, when actually he's really trying to bring them up. How silly of me.
...

3 comments:

  1. I actually like Bill Maher's recent commentary on Tyler Perry. "Tyler Perry has to just go ahead and have the surgery."

    In all seriousness though, while I am not familiar with all or even most of his work, what I have seen certainly does not strike me as anything worth commending. From a comedy standpoint it's cheap, easy, unfulfilling and ridiculous. From a social perspective, it's just crass and demeaning. Like I said though, I'm not familiar with all his work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've kept up with most of the Spike Lee-Tyler Perry feud, but I honestly hadn't heard that Perry compared himself to Booker T. Washington and WEB DuBois. WTF? I've always felt Tyler Perry was an embarrassment to black people, but this just goes way too far. And unfortunately, people are just gonna help keep his ego inflated by supporting his bullshit movies. I'm a fan of 98% of Spike's work and in a "fair and balanced" world, Spike would have Tyler Perry money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stormy: I didn't know Bill Maher had said that. That's hysterical. Also you don't need to be any more familiar with Tyler Perry's work - it's exactly what you thought it was.

    Howeye: Yeah, apparently he said that shit last week during a press conference for his new movie. He needs to GTFOWTBS, IMO. I agree that Spike should have Tyler Perry money though. In Hollywood the Peter Principle is hard at work.

    ReplyDelete