Monday, April 25, 2011

Socially Awkward Penguin

So, in an effort to shed the self imposed tag of being "socially awkward", I decided to check out the Socially Awkward Penguin memes and see whether or not they applied to me. I've been told lately that I'm actually not socially awkward (well, at least not anymore, I've come a long way in the last 2 years apparently) and that all I'm left with now in terms of lacking social skills is a very common fear of speaking in public.

But when I looked at the memes I mainly LMAO'ed because well, they're funny because they're true. I decided to post the 5 I liked the most and some explanation.


Yeaaaaah. I HATE it when I go anywhere where I have to sit down amongst people I don't know for a period of time and someone sits right next to me. If it's crowded and that's the only seat available, fine. But if it it's empty, for the love of god, WHY ME? I've been to the doctor's office quite a bit lately for a variety of reasons, and let me tell you, there's nothing that bugs me more than someone sitting right next to me when there are dozens of other chairs available. And yeah, don't try to strike up a conversation with me, either. I will act like an elitist pig and pretend I'm reading something on my iPad and fully ignore you.


Ugh. I hate this one because I do it a lot. Like, there are so many times that I want to say some internet/gaming nerd thing and then change everything I was going to say because the person won't get it. Or of course the worst is when things do slip out and the person stares at me and I feel compelled to explain the reference. "Oh yeah it was so funny when that dude freaked out. He totally blue screened!" "Uh, what?" "Oh...well, you know, the BSOD? Blue Screen of Death?" "No..." "Oh."


Facepalm. I do this a lot. I frequently give the wrong social response because I've already planned the social event out in my head, then I say some shit like this and it's the worst. I am so uncomfortable I usually just walk away, and then I berate myself for like 30 minutes afterwards.



GOD ICEBREAKERS ARE THE WORST! I have to do them a lot these days for work, and for fuck's sake, there is nothing worse than like 50 people in a room staring at you when you give the IRL version of your a/s/l. "Uh hi, my name's Sun. And I like stuff. And things. Yeah." I hate talking at meetings and I especially hate facilitating meetings. It gives me anxiety.



Well, I totally agree with this statement. I feel like I can totally talk online and be fine, but put me in a public setting and no way I can do the same thing.  I can almost never act like "myself" IRL, even amongst groups of friends! If the group gets larger than like 10 people, suddenly I can't function.

*sigh*

Maybe this is something that gets better with age? Then again, I'm 34.

3 comments:

  1. I laughed through this whole post.
    Social skills are so subjective, though. I learned first hand that what counts as acceptable in NY does not pass the test in TX. So I spend much of my days pissing people off, making them uncomfortable, or causing them to think there's something really wrong with me; but to me, I'm normal...whatever that means. You're my kind of normal, that's why I like to come here in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw man, shucks. *scuffs toe on ground* No seriously, thanks. A lot of time here in PC SoCal being really honest pisses people off, makes them uncomfortable or makes them think something's wrong with me too. People from here and from the Midwest are always shocked and appalled at the things that come out of my mouth like "How could you say something like that in public??" but the thing is, I know what I'm saying and I'm saying it for a reason. If you can't handle the truth (my version of it at least) then stop listening.

    In other news, DAMN, from NY to TX? Brutal, son! I feel your pain - I don't know where in TX you are but that is one hell of a fucked up state. I think Austin is the only cool part of TX.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can we please get together soon and be an awkward pair? I need some Sun time. I'll tell you all about my mom's brain tumor surgery and the staples in her head! xo

    ReplyDelete