Sunday, January 23, 2011

^5s: The Last 5 Surprising Movies I Watched

This post is basically about movies that surprised me that I've seen in the last 2 or 3 months. Most of them surprised me in a good way, but one of them just surprised me in general because I didn't know wtf to expect.


Scott Pilgrim
This movie was surprisingly FUCKING AWESOME. Anyone in my generation, who is a gamer, and who likes comic books should love this movie. If you don't love this movie but you fit the criteria, I don't even know what to say to you, other than that you must be a pretentious doucherocket who thinks he's some kind of movie nerd. But anyway, the tagline pretty much says it all. The epicness of this movie approached legendary.


Zombieland
Also a surprisingly good movie. I didn't know what to expect of this either, other than I was told that I should not watch it while eating. As it happened, I ended up watching it while eating chicken, which turned out to be a bad idea. Despite that fact I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It was kind of like watching a video game being played in a way. And I loved Woody Harrelson in this. LOVED him. And the Bill Murray part was just...awesome.



Super Troopers
Well, I was expecting this to be stupid, I'm sorry to say - even though manz and my girl Stef have highly recommended it to me. I'm not sure why, but for some reason I'll love some stupid funny movies, and hate others. Like for example, I loved Anchorman and Blade of Glory, but didn't care for Old School. (I know, sacrilege.) Or much else that Will Ferrell has done. I don't usually like anything with Seth Rogen in it. I thought Superbad was meh. You get the idea. I loved this movie though, and I think it was because of the fact that you could tell all of the actors were having a good time. Maybe that's the key. In the stupid funny movies I hate, the actors usually are being stupid funny just for that reason alone, and I'm not sure whether or not they're even enjoying the experience. I mean, why wouldn't you love to be paid to act like an idiot? But in Super Troopers, you could TELL every one of those guys was having a good time, which made it funny to me, which made me like it.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Sometimes when I'm watching a British movie or television show it takes me a second to figure out what the hell is going on, because I'm a stupid American who on occasion needs to be beat over the head to actually connect the dots. That kind of happened in this movie. It wasn't until about 30 minutes into the movie that I was like "Ohhhhhhhh!" and started laughing. The question game and the random scientific discoveries were hilarious, and it was awesome seeing Tim Roth (OMG <3 Cal Lightman) and Gary Oldman (OMG COMMISSIONER GORDON SQUEE) as young as they were in this movie. 

The Good, the Bad, and the Weird
With a title like that, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I love two of the three main characters, the Bad, and the Weird, so I figured I'd give it a shot. They've both been in Park Chan Wook movies and have been phenomenal. This movie was interesting at parts, funny at parts, and had good action at parts, but it was...I don't know. Just...interesting. I think I need to watch it again. It might be one of those movies like Kung Fu Hustle, where I saw it at first at was all like "hmmm" and then later realized that it was awesome. 

3 comments:

  1. Scott Pilgrim was just one of those movies you have to call awesome. You can't help but name off the sound effects from their source, the parodies/nods (Guy explodes into coins on being defeated) and the seamless way it's integrated into the story. ("Aw, there isn't even enough to cover the bus fare" "I'll spot you the rest, let's go.") Definitely one of the best movies I'd seen in '10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! Agreed!

    And honestly, I can't believe I waited so long to see it. But I think it's just because I was burned out on Michael Cera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I waited a long time to see Scott Pilgrim too. I just didn't know what to think, but then I just copped it on a whim. *dorky fist pump* YES!
    i loved it. i don't know what the cutoff date was for Oscar nominations, but this should've gotten some love. i'll take Scott Pilgrim over The Social Network. fuck "the Academy." (Inception for best film, btw).

    Super Troopers, Zombieland: love those.

    i haven't seen the last two on your list but they sound interesting. added to my Netflix queue.

    ReplyDelete