Sunday, January 9, 2011

^5s: The Last 5 (+2) TV Shows I've Watched

Been a while since I've done one of these, and this post has been sitting in my "to post" queue for like the past several months, so I don't want to hear any shit about a late pass. You try working as much as me for the last few months and see if you're still able to post a lot. Well, that only applies if you're over the age of 25. Let me rephrase that. You try being 33 years old and working as much as me for the last few months and see if you're still able to post a lot. Plus, I gotta fit video games in with television watching, too. And football. And working out.


Top Gear UK
So I've caught several shows of theirs, and while I love that it's about cars, and about non-American cars, and also about SPORTS cars, I hate that Jeremy Clarkson is so anti-American (but then, I don't blame him) and I also hate that they hate the GTR. I mean, COME ON. Who thinks the GTR is a piece of shit? WHO, I ask you? Still, they're hilarious and the rest of the cars on the show are just amazing (Bugatti Veyron, anyone?) so I can't hate too much. Any one of their recent seasons would be worthwhile to watch if you love cars like I do.


Avatar
Yes, I realize this is a picture of Appa, but I don't care, because he's fucking awesome. He's like that flying dog in the Neverending Story. Manz hates that dog, which I think is maybe one of the only things we don't agree on, and never will. I loved that dog, and Appa was fucking awesome. Anyway, I wasn't sure what to expect of this show, but figured I would try it out because people have been telling me that I reminded them of Toph.
I wasn't sure what to expect from comments like THAT either, but I told manz about it, and after she entered the picture in Season 2, manz turns to me and says, "That really IS you." I don't mind the comparison. A tomboy who kicks ass? Sure, why not? But, back to what I thought of the show. The first season dragged and seemed very much like a children's show. But the second and third season? GTFOHWTBS! Shit was crazy, talking about brainwashing and dystopian societies? What kid would understand that? I ended up loving this show, most especially the 2nd and 3rd seasons. Anyone that hasn't checked it out should. This is not a kids show.


Dexter
Another show where I wasn't sure what to think. One of my many complaints about movies and television in the United States these days has been about the lack of originality. Well, this show pretty much threw that complaint out on its ear. I watched seasons 1 and 2, and they were both really great. I'm waiting for season 3 to come out on instant queue in Netflix so we can watch it, but overall I like the show a lot. It's intense and just fucking serious business. I hate Dexter's sister sometimes, especially that weird smile she has like she had a stroke, and her lisp, but I try not to let it get to me. And shit, if that's the only complaint I've got about a show, I'll take the annoying bitch with the rest of it any day of the week. Plus, I love me a fucking anti-hero. He's like Batman with a little extra Joker thrown in.


Full Metal Alchemist
I have no idea why I persist in believing sometimes that just because something is animated that it means it's for kids. If any show out there were to prove that wrong, it would be this show. The blood and gore and themes of the show were definitely not for children, which I appreciated, because I do love some violence and gratuitous bloodshed, even if its animated. I was hesitant to watch the show because I thought it was gonna be some emokid bullshit, which is wrong of me, but hey - most emokids I know that are into everything Japanese loved this show. So what am I supposed to think? ANYWAY. It was truly awesome. Seriously. Not to mention, I like to think I'm a tough bitch most of the time, but I'll tell you, there were more than a few times when my eyes seemed a little overly dry and my tear ducts helped moisturize them. Not because I was sad or anything, it was just me having super dry eyes. (I hate that shit, but I am a sucker for family oriented themes concerning loss. Hm. I wonder why.)


Firefly
Here's another perfect example of a show I had no inclination to want to watch because of the fans. (OMG NATHAN FILION! SWOON~) You guys know I do not do any kind of swooning over men. I mean, what's there to swoon over? Girls are much nicer looking nekkid, they're softer, and smell better on the whole than dudes. You know its true. Still, my girl Mel told me I should watch it, and manz grudgingly admitted he had seem it and thought it was all right, so I gave it a chance. It actually was better than I thought it would be. A little cheesy at times, but a decent show nonetheless. I'm not sure if I'd actually watch it again, but I enjoyed it while I did watch it. (But not one of those females did a thing for me, which was sad. Summer Glau was nowhere near as hot as I expected her to be.)


Lie to Me
Love Tim Roth. Love love love him. I think he's an amazing actor and am glad he was cast as the main character. This show is kiiinda like a procedural drama, but not. Its got a little bit of everything thrown into the mix. Some science, some psychology, a lot of interesting shit. Plus all the characters are great actors, even the ones they bring in for just one episode. I highly suggest this show. If you ever wanted to know more about reading people or digging around in people's heads to see what makes them tick, this is your show. Of course, thanks to my wonderfully manipulative father (kind of like a cross between a yakuza and a ronin, but Korean knowing martial arts, and no, I don't think he's awesome, he's kind of a sociopath.) I already knew a lot of these things, because I happen to be a natural. (Natural micr


Afro Samurai
Great art + Samuel L. Jackson + steampunk = Awesome.

5 comments:

  1. I've seen everything on this list except Dexter. I hear a lot about it, but I've never actually sat down to watch it. But now that it gets your stamp of approval I think I'll have to check it out. And I know what you mean about not wanting to watch a show because of the fans...I was originally like that with Battlestar Galactica. But once I started watching it, all the dumb fan shit was forgotten about.

    My sentiments exactly about Afro Samurai. That's why I got it on Blu Ray. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, srsly, check out Dexter. Shit is GOOD. And he really is like Batman + some Joker thrown in. Best anti-hero ever.

    ALSO. BSG = OMFG + 9001 = LEGENDARY WIN

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can anyone hate Appa?

    Alot of good shows here.

    I thought I lost all love for anime until I watched Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop.

    I'm currently watching Berserk and if you like bloodshed and adult themes then Berserk is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, Appa is awesome. You know what I love most about him? His sense of humor. So, Samurai Champloo is good? I'll have to check that out. I saw the Cowboy Bebop movie and thought it was meh, but man, so many people whose taste I respect (such as yourself) have told me it's good. Maybe the show is better?

    Berserk. Noted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best season in Dexter is 2 after that its 4. Season 5 was pretty dope in its own right too. I really can't wait for season 6.

    ReplyDelete