Saturday, November 13, 2010

Viva La Revolucion!

Although I totally don't regret moving to San Diego from LA, there are certain things I miss, being somewhat of an artfag and all. The arts scene is obviously a lot bigger there than in SD, so there are a lot of things I miss out on here.

However, I found out earlier this week that there was an art exhibit at the Museum of Contemporary Art that was featuring street art, with like 20 different artists, one of them being Banksy. As you all know, I'm a very indoorsy type of girl, but I had to go see this, so we went today.

This Invader piece was just outside the building. Some of the exhibit wasn't actually in the building but around San Diego, on certain walls in the city. I thought that was pretty cool.


This segment was really cool. Basically Invader decided to design an invader piece that would be seen from above by using the streets of San Diego. It ended up being eleven blocks wide and seven blocks tall. They showed a sped up video of him doing the walk (I think he had stuff on his shoes?) and then what it looked like in an aerial view.


The first piece of Shepard Fairey's that we saw, a portrait of Jean-Michel Basquiat. I personally am not a fan, but I can see why street artists pay homage to him.


The second Shepard Fairey piece of Keith Haring. I like his work a little better than Basquiat's, perhaps because of the more overt activist themes and social commentary? I don't know. It's a damn good portrait of him, though.



This piece was fucking cool. To make a sculpture out of all, just by chipping out plaster and paint? It's creative and it's very well done. 


video
This piece was done by David Ellis. It's crazy, I was in the first room with Shepard Fairey's stuff and I kept hearing different beats in the other room and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Then I realized the beats were coming from this trash can. It's all made of trash and the noises are just percussion from objects hitting each other, but I still thought it was awesome.

Wow. Apparently when you don't work on the weekends you actually have time to go and do cool shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment