Sunday, August 22, 2010

THOR!

So manz has been telling me to watch the Thor trailer for a few weeks now, and he keeps forgetting to show it to me when we're both at our desks. He finally did today and I have to say I'm impressed. I myself am not a Thor fan per se, mostly because I had the same issues with him that most people do with Superman. However, as I've talked about on this blog before, I did read the beginning of the new Thor series several months ago and was fairly impressed. Then to find out that this new Thor movie will be partially based on the story of the new series, well, I was a little more excited.

It was after this that I found out what the casting would be and was even more excited - especially considering that the director would be Kenneth Branagh, and oddly enough, I felt that he could possibly do a great job of it since his background is mainly Shakespearean. I figured, who better to cover a movie about a Nordic god than Kenneth Branagh, right? I think the 3 casting choices that had me the most excited were:

1. Natalie Portman as Jane Foster
I think you all know about my not so secret nerd love for Natalie Portman. I've already admitted I've liked her since The Professional. She is probably one of the only skinny women in the world that I would get down with in a heartbeat.

2. Anthony Hopkins as Odin
Originally I was hoping for Stellan Skaarsgard as Odin and his son Alexander as Thor, but when I heard Anthony motherfucking Hopkins was cast as Odin I was NOT disappointed. Amazing casting choice, imo.

3. Idris Elba as Heimdall
I don't care that people bitch about the diversification of casting to include minorities and women, when the role was not initially supposed to be for a minority or a woman. (Starbuck in BSG, anyone?) Idris Elba is an amazing actor, and I am excited to see him in this role.

Anyway for those of you that haven't seen it yet, here's the trailer. And yes, I need a late pass, because most comic nerds saw this right after Comic Con. This new job of mine is seriously cramping my internet nerd lifestyle.

5 comments:

  1. There's some excellent casting for the movie including young Chris Hemsworth as Thor. I guess of course that Sir Anthony Hopkins is the "heavyweight" among them.

    I've seen the SDCC trailer a few times. It keeps popping up and getting deleted by Marvel's agents. It is impressive though and bodes well for the film.

    As an Aussie science fiction writer I’ve been a Marvel Thor fan since the original Journey into Mystery of August 1962.

    If you get a chance check out some of my Marvel (mainly Thor) fan fiction. Just scroll down below my author profile and you will see over 40 fan fiction stories here:

    http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1276881/David_Scholes

    Maybe also check out my new novella. Only just released as an e-book on Xlibris and also now available in Kindle edition on Amazon:

    www.xlibris.com/SoldieroftheBrell.html

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Triple H should of been Thor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous- thanks for stopping by my blog...to be honest I haven't read any fan fiction in a while. For that matter I haven't read anything in general for a while because work has been crazy and will continue to be so until November. But my husband's a big fan of all things Thor so I'll send him these links.

    Ever: Where the hell you been? And also that visual was HI LARRY US.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Dioracat & Ever Imagine him giving Loki the Pedigree. Or getting hit in the back with his own hammer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eh sorry about that. I've been watching a lot of kung-fu movies lately instead of spending time browsing the almighty internet.

    ReplyDelete