Wednesday, June 30, 2010

^5s: 5 Musical Acts I Can't Fucking Stand Anymore

As most of you know, I grew up on old jazz/rhythm and blues, what with being born up in Oakland, and being surrounded by jazz musicians in my formative years. When I got a little older though, I spent time (involuntarily) with my older sister, and oddly enough she was really into rock music. Because I was exposed to so much of it, I ended up liking rock music quite a bit (since after all...aren't rock and blues and jazz so closely related?) and developed my own taste for it when I was in my late teens. At this moment in time most of what I listen to is rock music actually, because I'm so sick of what's considered hip hop and r&b these days. (Yes, I'm aware there's good hip hop out there, but I'm old and tired and its hard to keep up with everything. So if you have suggestions, please, tell me.)


Anyhow, I've noticed that there's a lot of bands that I used to REALLY love and listen to all the time, but somewhere down the line, I stopped listening to them as much, and more recently I discovered that I actually really fucking HATE them now. I'm not sure when love became hate, and I know there's a thin line and all, but seriously, for some of these bands if I hear any of their songs I just want to punch a baby.


You know, when I first heard of them it was in the early to mid 90s, around the time that Blood Sugar Sex Magik was out. At the time and even now I did like this album on the whole, and I know they had 2 releases prior to this album, but to this day I still haven't heard them, and BSSM remains their best album in my mind. I don't know why, and perhaps its because Anthony Keadis is a little too much into the sex and drugs part of being a rock star, but after this album the lyrics of their songs have just gotten worse and worse. I mean I have no idea sometimes what the fuck he's saying in his songs or what the hell the songs are even about. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against obscure lyrics or anything, but seriously, his lyrics are terrible and just getting worse. On top of it all, a lot of the music media for a long time have been thinking that RHCP is like this major classic band, and I'm not so sure that they are, because every album I've heard since BSSM has been pretty terrible. I think the only song of theirs that I can hear at this point without changing the station or skipping the song in iTunes is “Under the Bridge”.



I have always been a tentative fan of the Foo Fighters, partially because I'm not the hugest fan of Dave Grohl. I don't think he's as amazing as everyone else seems to think he is, I mean I give him major credit for being a drummer that can sing, because there aren't a lot of “famous” drummers that can sing, as far as I'm aware there's been Ringo, Don Henley, Phil Collins, and that's about it. Also I'm not sure that this band or even Dave Grohl himself would be as big of a deal had Kurt Cobain not committed suicide. But then again, that's just me, and I'm probably biased since I don't really think he's the shit to begin with. I used to love certain songs of theirs but now every time I hear the first few chords of one of their songs I just want to cut myself.



Y' know, Greenday was cool and all when they first started out, a more modern punk band that was all about fighting the man and whatnot, but seriously, they sold out like a motherfucker. Look at them now, they're so god damn mainstream, and last I heard, punk was most certainly NOT mainstream. Do they ever look back on their history and say to themselves “Wow, we are hardcore sellouts”? Or maybe they just don't give a shit because they're still making money? Whatever the reason, right about now they suck giraffe balls and I wouldn't even bootleg one of their shits.



I'm gonna give an honorable mention on this list to Nirvana. I feel bad talking shit because I know one of the reasons why they exploded everywhere is because Kurt committed suicide and all, and their fame in large part arises from that. I mean, its the same thing with Sublime. I don't know what Kurt was thinking when he pulled that trigger but I'm pretty sure that he wasn't expecting that his band would become as huge as they did. So it's not their fault exactly that like every god damned rock music station in the country has an alternating playlist of the previous bands mentioned above (well maybe minus Lenny) and Nirvana's “Nevermind” album, but man, every time I hear the first few notes of a Nirvana song anywhere I just groan and /facepalm because my GOD, talk about oversaturation.


Oh God, are they EVER just going to stop making music? I mean, they keep coming out with albums and EVERY SINGLE GOD DAMN SONG has the same fucking guitar guitar riffs! That drives me up a fucking wall, I swear. It's the same reason (well, one of many) that I cannot fucking stand Linkin Park, because all they do is make the same song over and over again. And please do not tell me that's the fault of people who keep buying their cds because I think we all know at this point that cd buying is not the reason bands keep being allowed to make music. I mean, sure Offspring was new and cool and different and had a unique sound when I first heard them back in '94 but seriously, it's been 16 years and every single song since then has sounded exactly the same. I wish they'd change it up a little bit. I'm sure they roll with the mantra of “If it ain't broke don't fix it” but c'mon, Weezer's done it, they can too.


Last but not least is Lenny Kravitz. You will notice the above is NOT Lenny Kravitz, but instead his super hot daughter, Zoe. I chose to put a picture of her up here because I am sick and tired of seeing half nekkid or almost all the way nekkid pics of Lenny. Anyway, it's really weird because I used to seriously love me some Lenny Kravitz, and in theory I should really love him because he's a great musician, he's a great singer, and he's a colored man kind of breaking paradigms in his genre, well, he was way back when he first started. However, in the last several years for some reason whenever I hear a Lenny Kravitz song (on one of my older random mix cds usually) I just skip it. I don't think I've heard one of his songs in its entirety in years. When I was getting ready to write this post I tried listening to a song of his just to figure out what it is that I can't stand about his music, and I honestly don't know. All I know is that its like rubbing your fingers across a balloon to me now.

However, I don't care that his daughter is underage. She is HOT.

7 comments:

  1. I had no idea Lenny had a hot underage daughter (how much longer before she's just his hot daughter?). As far as his music, I still like son. But I agree 100% about the rest of them (you're right, it's not Nirvana's fault they're overexposed). The Chili Peppers? Talk about falling off. Does the fact that I'm still listening to Rage Against the Machine mean I'm totally out of touch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally agree with this list. i cant stand to hear any of these groups any more.

    ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to agree on the Chili Peppers, the only listenable song (for me) of theirs would be "Under the Bridge." As for the Foo Fighters, I actually do like their music, just not what's making it to radio airtime anymore....I may hurt someone if I hear "Let it die" again....Love the cover they did of "Baker Street", and "There is Nothing Left to Lose" remains one of my favorite albums. Their last album *was* a bit disappointing, though.
    Still, none of the groups on this list irritate me quite as much as Metallica. Say what you like about their early music, at the point where their decline lead them to create a travesty like the "St. Anger" album, they should have been stopped, so that no further aural abominations (See "Death Magnetic") could be created.

    ReplyDelete
  4. iamotstrange: I still listen to RATM, too. Pretty heavily. I also have listened to One Day As A Lion's album about 100 times by now as well. Love love love them.

    Rowdy: Where the hell YOU been??

    Stormy: Remember my one boss Monica, who was playing WoW for a bit? That bitch listened to FF EVERY SINGLE GOD DAMNED DAY. And remember Lelo? He did, too. Perhaps that explains my hatred? Metallica irritates me as well, but you know, they have always been on the meh side to me, I've never really liked them more than a 5 on a 1-10 scale, so the love didn't turn to hate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh, yeah I can see how constant everyday exposure to FF would lead to disgust. I'd dread em to if I had to hear it everyday.

    So, when can we expect to see the ^5 artists you want to hear more from?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm actually kind of tired of listening to Korn. They're still my favorite band, but their new shit is ass. Red Hot Chili Peppers, too. Also Coheed and Cambria, but I'd say I went through more of a Coheed and Cambria "phase".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stormy: Good, no, GREAT suggestion. I will think on a ^5s for artists I want to hear more from.

    E-Rich: Korn in my mind hasn't done anything good in a while, they're the kind of band I excluded from my list like Metallica, they've had songs I liked but I was never a fan of them, really. Same for C&C.

    ReplyDelete