Tuesday, April 27, 2010

^5s: The Last 5 (x2) Movies I Watched

I haven't done a ^5s post in a little while but I figured a good one would be the last 5 movies I watched...'cause of the wedding and work and school I haven't really had time to catch up till recently. So here they are, and I recommend watching them all. The only order they are in is chronological, starting from the one I watched the longest time ago till the one I watched last weekend.

Sherlock Holmes
Guy Ritchie is back up in this bitch, which I said after I saw Rocknrolla, but even more so after checking this out. It was really good. It's a damned good modern adaptation of the Sherlock Holmes stories, and before anyone out there tells me that the movie wasn't true to Holmes' origins, think again. The movie was true to the WRITTEN origins of Holmes, as a matter of fact, and I love this version of him, not the snooty-my-shit-don't-stink-and-I'm-smarter-than-you Holmes. I hope they do make some sequels, as I've heard they might.


JCVD
What the what? Who knew that Jean Claude could actually act...let alone make FUN of himself and have a good sense of humor about his rise and fall as a celebrity? I really enjoyed this one a lot because it was just so REAL and heartfelt, and that's not something you can really say often about an action star, let alone Jean Claude Van Damme. If you ever watched his movies and liked them as a kid (or as an adult, whatever, I won't judge you) then you really need to check this one out.


Inglourious Basterds
Pretty sure anyone who reads this blog has already seen this movie but if you haven't seen it yet, then you really need to for the following reasons: 1, its a Tarantino movie. 2, Brad Pitt's accent. 3, Christoph Waltz's performance as Colonel Landa. Fucking amazing.


Thirst
I am not sure what I think about this movie. It's the latest Park Chan Wook movie, good cast, interesting story, but I'm really not sure if I even liked it or if it weirded me out or what. I will say this though, way more interesting addition to the vampire genre than the Twilight shit, that's for damn sure.


Religulous
I have not been more amused and entertained by a movie that was about religion since Dogma, I think. No matter what religion you are, if you're open minded and a free thinker, then you need to watch this movie. It's hilarious and educational.


In the Loop
When I first heard the premise for this movie, I was kinda like "wtfdonotwant" because it sounded SO DULL. But, there have been a lot of movies that sounded dull as hell (Michael Clayton anyone?) that ended up being amazing, so I decided to give this one a try. And I have never been more glad that I did, because this movie has reached "fucking awesome" status for me. I'm not going to spoil it by telling you what its about because you might feel the way I did, and I really think this movie is just SO good. My favorite character was Malcolm Tucker. Go watch the movie and tell me if you don't agree.


Solaris
My boy Mundo put manz and I up on this movie. It was a little seen movie done by the production team of Clooney and Soderbergh. Kinda sci-fi, kinda suspense, kinda psychological thriller, kinda wtfisgoingonhere, its a very interesting movie. At the end you're kind of left thinking, "whoa wait what??" If you check this out, let me know because I have QUESTIONS.


Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
One of the most brilliant concepts for a movie EVER. It's a movie that's made up of edited together clips of other movies. It stars Steve Martin at his most funny, and the movies its made up of are old film noir and old Hollywood films. Very, very well done. I wish I had thought of this shit myself.


Let the Right One In
When I first saw the trailer for this movie I thought to myself that it could be either awesome or horrible, but nothing in between. It took me a while to actually watch it, but I finally checked it a few weeks ago, and really liked it. Also a very interesting and cool addition to the vampire genre, and it was so well done. I think one of the things I love most about foreign cinema is that other countries do not feel the need to beat you over the head with the point of the film.


Departures
Here's another movie that I knew would be good, but the synopsis I read of it on every site made the movie sound horrible. I mean, why not write something that makes the movie sound interesting and compelling, which it is? I hate to say this because it sounds totally gay, but the only word I can use to explain this movie is "moving". It really, really is. Makes you think about a lot of your own preconceived notions and misperceptions and the choices you've made in your life. Or at least that's how it made me feel. In any case, if you have any feelings at all you should go see it. It made me feel like I had a little something in my eye, if you know what I'm saying.

5 comments:

  1. Have yet to see Inglorious Basterds even though its sitting somewhere in my hard drive. Religulous gets two thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime you feel like gratuitous bloodshed and violence then you need to queue that movie up in the quickness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, like...did you ever see AI? Because the ending of both Solaris and AI seem to have the same feel to them. Like, was he being rewarded at the end? Was he just hallucinating?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We patiently await your return...

    ReplyDelete