Saturday, August 8, 2009

AMG PARK CHAN WOOK! *insert multiple nerdgasms here*



So...I just found out today that a friend of mine who's a writer, by the name of Steve Dollar, recently interviewed Park Chan Wook (the link is to his IMDB, if you're interested, which YOU SHOULD BE) about his new movie Thirst for Paste Magazine. FUCKING AWESOME. I love Park Chan Wook. His Revenge Trilogy is one of the best trilogies of all time (up there with the Star Wars 4, 5, and 6 for me, honestly, and better than Lord of the Rings in a lot of ways) and I find him a fascinating writer/director. His movies consistently blow me away and ALWAYS leave me with a lot to think about, mostly about people, and the human condition, and the darker side of the human condition.

Anyway. Here's the part of the interview I liked best, although it is a short one. Do me a favor and click the link though to check the whole story.

Paste: Vampires are big these days, in case you hadn’t noticed. True Blood. Twilight. And now your film. How did you manage to find a new twist on such an old story?

Park Chan-wook: I couldn’t have possibly intended to somehow revolutionize the genre. Rather, I was trying to come up with ways to take a Catholic priest and put him in the worst situation possible, (I found that HYSTERICALLY FUNNY, you probably know why...) where he comes to the lowest point in terms of his morals. In following that quest, I thought to have him as a vampire. I wasn’t trying to do something within those traditions of the genre. All I did was take away from things considered vampire conventions, such as the lengthening fangs or the fear of garlic or the crucifix, or things to do with mirrors, the fact that none of them cast shadows…none of it is in the film.

Paste: The movie really feels like a philosophical debate, or a man vs. woman debate. This priest does a sacrificial Christ-like thing but then becomes demon against his will. A girl who appears to be a victim somewhere longs to victimize. You seem to be examining man’s nature, and whether we should aspire to a higher calling or submit to primal desires.

Chan-wook: I have tried to deal with the existential situation human beings find themselves in, and also the horror that arises from that. We had this character who wanted to do a good deed, almost to the extent of sacrificing his own life, but despite his intentions becomes a demon. So, where does this come from? Where does this blood that turns him into a demon come from and whose blood is it? These are metaphors for the fundamental questions in our lives that are unsolvable. And the fear that you feel when you contemplate these questions. And I wanted to describe these. How you need to take responsibility for the sins you commit, even as you need to commit these sins in order to survive?

I love that man. He's never let me down, and I hope he has a long and prosperous career.

2 comments: