Wednesday, July 8, 2009

IRONY: It's a Bitch, aka MA = BEST. STATE. EVAR.

I post this now as a precursor to a post that I've been writing in my head for a year now. It's about racism, it's about hypocrisy, it's about prejudice, it's about fear. It's about my family. But that's another story for another day.

Before we begin, know this about me: if you ever think you'd like to be friends, I require only one thing of my friends - that they be open minded. I don't care what color, race, culture, religion, or sexuality you identify with. I don't care what your hobbies are. But what IS going to be a deal breaker is whether or not you're truly open minded. If you're a hypocrite and a bigot, we probably won't be friends. If you're a conservative bible thumper, we can't be friends. With that in mind, I also have to say, that its not up to me to judge people. Its something that so many people say all the time, but most people judge your ass anyway. I've been judged by too many people for too many decisions I've made in my life and been told that I'm a terrible person, I'm evil, I'm going to hell, all of those things and worse. Now that I'm turning 32 here soon, all I care about in someone else is if they're truly happy. Which brings me to certain current events. I don't care WHO you sleep with. I don't care WHO you decide to marry. Its not my business to tell you who to love and who to marry. If you're happy, then that's all that matters. Unfortunately, because of religion, a lot of people think they can tell you who to love and who to marry and what's right and wrong for you.



I don't use this particular demotivator for any reason, other than to illustrate my point. When Prop 8 was first passed, in Los Angeles on the front of the Los Angeles Times there were a lot of pictures of MY PEOPLE, of KOREANS, standing there holding Yes on 8 signs. I was disgusted. I thought then what I think now when I see this demotivator, which is, "How can you, who've fought so long and hard for equal rights of your own in this country...BEGRUDGE THEM TO SOMEONE ELSE? You who have been judged for your slanty eyes? For your accent? For the color of your skin? You've been judged by all these things, and determined not worthy by SO MANY, and you struggled through it anyway. You know the pain you went through and yet you will still inflict it on someone else regardless."

Dart, this one's for you. Thanks to Miss Shivvy, I can now say that Massachusetts is officially one of the BEST. STATES. EVER. The first sentence of this story gave me some hope for humanity: Massachusetts, the first state to legalize gay marriage, sued the U.S. government Wednesday over a federal law that defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

Long live civil and HUMAN rights. Death to hypocrisy.

3 comments:

  1. When the news broke that the State would officially sue the rest of the nation I said to myself "Only THIS state would even think to do that". What's funnier? I think Massachusetts is gonna win.

    Death to hypocrisy. Right? Right?

    One.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like the Boston Tea(bag)Party all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you guys. That is all.

    ReplyDelete