Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Comic Con 2009: Holy Nerdgasms, Batman!

So as most people who know me are aware by now, I was at Comic Con this past weekend. I only went one day, Saturday, and I'd just like to say at this time that NEXT year, I won't be making that mistake. I was a Comic Con noob and I know that next year, I'll be attending all 4 days, and I will be staying downtown, across the street from the venue. I highly suggest that if you ever plan to attend the Con that you do the same. You'll be SO GLAD you did, trust me.

Anyway, I'll limit my commentary here since there's so many pictures, plus I'm STILL TIRED from the damned thing. Manz and I wore appropriate nerd gear, me wearing my "Classically Trained" shirt with an NES on it, and manz wearing the Cobra shirt I bought him. Q was with us as well and decided to thug it in his white tee and baggy jeans.

The first thing we saw when we walked in was DC Universe Online. Instant nerdgasm. Here's what some of the gameplay looked like:

On the one hand I can't wait for it to come out. (Oh, by the way, apparently if you become a fan of theirs on FB that's the only way to get into Beta. So go do eet nao!) On the other hand I don't want it to come out any time soon. I'm ALREADY playing 2 games right now and I just don't have the time to commit to another one. *sigh*

There were a lot of freaking toys everywhere and I happened to step into a booth to get away from the crush of people around the PS3 and Xbox booths, and I saw this:

HI-LARRY-US.

Next thing we saw was the Black Beauty that Seth Rogen had driven onto the floor previously (I think Thursday) and outside of it being the Black Beauty, may I say that it was indeed a beauty? SMOKIN HAWT muscle car is more accurate, methinks.


We walked around to the Marvel "booth" which just turned out to be the Marvel toys area, but I thought this was pretty awesome looking. Meet the cutest Victor Von Doom ever:


Another thing in the same area that I just must mention for manz is that we saw a bunch of awesome figurines and he had to take one of Moon Knight. Manz is a fan of Marvel B Teamers and Moon Knight is one of his favorites. Let it also be known that manz and I share a love for Batman, so I guess I can see why he likes Moon Knight. To humor him I even read a recent Moon Knight TPB (which I'll be discussing in a later post) and it was actually pretty good. This little figurine was like 2 inches tall!


Manz and I actually thought that the costumes for Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow were a lot lamer than they turned out to be. They're actually not bad looking at all. I'm still wondering if I'm going to go see the steaming pile of shit that I anticipate GI Joe to be. I most likely will, for the same reason I saw the first Transformers movie despite my noted and distinct hatred of all things Michael Bay...because I really just want to see a live action film of one of my favorite cartoons.


Speaking of one of my all time favorite cartoons...this Voltron was pretty fucking sweet looking.


Even more awesome was this picture taken directly after the previous one. OM NOM NOM NOM! (No, that's not Scruffer, he's way cuter than this puppy) This one nerd had brought his girlfriend along and in order to take a "creative" picture that's what he did for her. Bitches, man. They sure do be trippin.


In the autographs area, first I saw Col. Tigh and was like OMG IT'S THAT BASTARD!


Then I rounded the corner and almost fainted, OMG COMMANDER ADAMA! Totally nerdgasming all over the damned place and I've only seen Season 1!


I have no idea why The Whole Fuckin' Show was at the Wizard booth, but he was, and he was the only one there.


So back when we were at the Marvel toy booth, when we were gawking at the Iron Man stuff, a fellow nerd saw us doing so and helped us out by letting us know that the 4 suits from the movie were on display so we of course had to go see them. This pic is courtesy of Q 'cause manz couldn't get close enough:


The only thing I actually bought at the show was a numbered and signed print of Jim Lee's work of ol' Bats. You know where THAT one's going, I'm sure...and for those who don't know, it will be going next to my framed copy of The Gotham Times on my wall.


All in all, it was a pretty cool experience. I say only pretty cool because I would have liked to see some of the showings as well as the panels and such, but this year my trip was poorly planned. You know, I actually expected the people to be a lot worse than they were, too...but other than the sheer retarded AMOUNT of people, the other attendees were pretty much what I expected. If you're a comic book nerd I highly suggest you make a trip out here for a Con, it's totally worth it.

3 comments:

  1. The Moon Knight figure is pretty ill. Marvel "B Teamers" like him, Alpha Flight and Cloak & Dagger, have always been slept on for some reason. Watch your tone when you speak of them. lol

    There's a gonna be a convention in Baltimore sometime. I should go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah man, I don't hate on the B Teamers. I'm not a hardcore Marvel fangirl so most of the B Teamers I'm not even familiar with. Manz has a B Team Supercrew that he would have loved to see together, and I laughed when I saw some of them get wtfpwnt when I re-read Onslaught recently. His Supercrew would consist of:

    Moon Knight
    Shatterstar
    Archangel
    Firelord
    Hawkeye

    ReplyDelete
  3. doooope!!! i gotta go next year

    ReplyDelete