I've decided to do what the great Stephen Fry has done and do a write up of Twitter and why I'm not following you, or why I've decided to unfollow you when I was previously, or why I might be unfollowing you in the immediate future. I've been asked either directly or indirectly a few times why, and here's my answers. I was getting really sick of Twitter till I realized what the problem was, and I've listed those issues below. But first, a disclaimer:
This is not a list of threats. This is not me telling you what to do. What this is, is me telling you what I plan on doing and why. So, without further ado:
Why I'm Not Following You, Ever Or Anymore, Period.
AKA: The Hammer Is Coming Down
1. My list of people I follow turns out to be...guess what! My Twitter feed. That's right, MY Twitter feed. Seeing as how its mine, I dictate what I want to see and what I don't want to see. Not you, or someone else, but me. I read what I want to read and see what I want to see on the internets because I have limited time in my day and don't want to waste it. No offense, its nothing personal. If you don't understand, think of it like this: how would you feel if you were subjected to a literary medium you didn't really have an interest in? Would you let someone make you watch a movie, or TV show you didn't like, every day, all day long? Would you make someone read a book or listen to music that they didn't like all day long? No? Why? Because it's rude, right? Exactly. So if I don't find your tweets to be something that I feel enriches my day or my life in general, or that makes me feel better or makes me laugh, don't take it hard.
2. Twitter is something I came to with high hopes. Because I felt that it would be a place where I could exchange thoughts and ideas with other people and engage others that I feel are like minded to me in conversation. It was something I felt would help me move forward in life and be a great tool to reach out and find other people I could have interesting or entertaining dialogue with. Seeing as how this is subjective to me, only *I* can dictate what's meaningful or entertaining to me. Not anyone else, and again, no one else should dictate what's meaningful or entertaining to you, either.
3. Related to both of the above, is basically my bottom line. If I don't care for what you talk about or am not interested in it, its my own personal preference. If I'm annoyed because I feel like you're spamming me with tweets that I don't care about, I'm removing you. If I feel like you're not bringing anything of interest to my Twitter feed, I'm removing you. If you don't feel like this applies to you and you STILL don't understand why I'm not following you, here's some examples without naming names:
- Unless you actually have a serious professional blog or website, I don't care about your personal blog/site. I don't really want to be spammed with posts about it, because you probably already have a link to it in your profile, and I've probably already looked at it and determined if I want to read it or not.
- I don't use Twitter to check for other people's status/location updates. I don't care where you are at this moment in time unless you're a real life personal friend. I don't want to be updated with to the minute information on your whereabouts because I don't know you.
- I don't want to be spammed with hashtag game tweets. Its funny once in a while, but when 12 people in my Twitter feed are ALL POSTING TWEETS AT ONCE it gets to be a bit too much. If I feel like you're really taking it over my threshold of tolerance, you gotta go.
- It doesn't matter if we're at the same place in our lives or not, but if you choose to spam me with Tweets about your life partying and drinking and being immature and stupid, then I don't care about that either. I am a grown woman, about to be married within the year and am going to grad school. I did my partying and drinking and being stupid years ago and am not interested in your exploits while you're drunk or high, or whatever. I have better shit to do, like watch the game or play some video games. Or study. Uh yeah, study.
- Also related to the above, if you're unhappy in your life for whatever reason, I'm sorry about that. I really am. It'd be nice for everyone to be happy. But if you plan on being disloyal or unfaithful to your significant other? Not my business and I don't want it to be. If you want to use Twitter for your own personal internet hookup tool, that's your prerogative, but I don't need to see your corny lines or your silly flirtations. I'm sorry you're unhappy in your life or relationships and need affirmation or a boost to your ego. But I don't need to watch while you ask for it or receive it. Maybe its a cultural thing but I feel distinctly uncomfortable watching that sort of intimacy. I'm not a voyeur.
In conclusion: I have enough stress in my daily life and am dealing with so much crap in general that I don't want some social media medium to be a source of further aggravation or annoyance. I'm not starting arguments or any drama, this is really a simple statement of where I'm coming from so people will understand and not ask me or my friends questions.
That is all.