Monday, March 2, 2009

No Apple Products for the Gates Family! Say It Ain't So!



I read this article this morning saying that Melinda Gates did an interview with Vogue magazine. First off, I'd like to say, I'd never seen a picture of her before, and I was a little shocked. She seems kind of homely. I kind of figured that Bill Gates would go with a trophy wife, since he's well, you know, Bill Gates and all. Or at least I thought she'd be better "preserved". I dunno. Is that wrong? Anyway. Apparently according to her the kids can play Xbox, and use all other Windows products all they want, but she says, and I quote:

"There are very few things that are on the banned list in our household. But iPods and iPhones are two things we don't get for our kids."

What I want to know is, do the Gates kids complain to their dad all the time about all the shit wrong with their computers? When they're being rebellious, do they ever scream, "OH YEAH, WELL I'M GOING TO GO BUY A MAC!" before they slam the door? Do they ever go over their friends houses that own Mac Books? What they fuck do they listen to digital music on? The Zune? (BWAHAHAHA!) How about on the computers themselves? Old school Winamp? Inquiring minds want to know!

Melinda goes on to say that she gets a little jealous of her friends that own Apple products though. She said:

"Every now and then I look at my friends and say 'Ooh, I wouldn't mind having that iPhone'. "

I wish the article would have gone into more detail as to why that is. Is it just hate? Like how my uncle hates the Japanese and all their products so much he won't buy shit from Japan? ('Cause of the genocide and death of our culture they started after WW2 and all.) Is it just that kind of hate? I wonder.

3 comments:

  1. I think everybody wants an Apple product at some point; they're well-designed physically & have wonderful user interfaces. Other than in those aspects, though, Apple products are just "okay" and in some cases are notably worse than their competitors.

    Take the iPod, for example — compared to Korean players such as those from Cowon or iriver, they're shit in terms of format support and output quality. The software interface and the physical unit itself are well designed but other aspects of the device are mediocre at best and crap at worst.

    I don't imagine hate keeps the Gates' from giving their kids Apple products; it's probably just his ego (totally invested in his company as he is).

    Personally I'm sort of anti-Apple. Not because I'm particularly pro-Microsoft, mind you, but because Apple is a fad company whose patrons are more often than not trendwhore yuppies with cardboard cutout personalities.

    I use Macs at work, though, and they're great. I wouldn't own one because I like to assemble my own computers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jambe,

    #1, I'm going to take a guess that you've never really come across my little blog before because I am quite unashamedly an Apple fangirl.

    #2, I'm more than well aware that the iPod/iPhone in terms of what else is available on the global market is quite crappy. It's just like all the statements that the Japanese don't like the iPhone. Although that's not true, compared to the types of cell phone technology that you see in Asian countries, the iPhone IS pretty shitty. I don't even own one myself, nor do I plan to. I have a Blackberry which in my mind is superior to the iPhones except for web browsing. *shrugs* Just my opinion.

    #3, since you added the qualifier "more often than not", I won't get all bristly at you about your stereotyping about Apple patrons. I started out on PCs. I got into IT, and was on my way to becoming a programmer. Then I had a career change to a predominantly A/V oriented industry and started using Macs. I was bi-platform for a while, then a couple years later decided Macs were the way to go. I don't consider myself your stereotypical Mac user. I personally feel that most companies and knowledgeable PC users are the only people who need to be buying PCs, because Macs are so idiot proof. But again, it's just my opinion. And what do I know, anyway, I'm just a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't busting you for being an Apple fangirl! I'm a fan of certain aspects of their company myself (I'm into mechanical engineering, so I have great admiration for Apple's design philosophy).

    It's certainly a stereotype — you've got me there! But you can't tell me you haven't read a gushing blog post or review of a new Apple product or seen a pretentiously-dressed yuppie sporting an Apple product as part of their hokey meme-inspired fashion sense. It wasn't my intention to stereotype you; I was just commenting on techno-fads.

    Also, I agree that Macs are more user-friendly than PCs. However, I think most people in developed nations who are 25 or younger probably have enough "electronics literacy" to be able to use a Windows PC effectively.

    With Boot Camp out there, the only reasons to get a PC are for cost savings or specific interests such as hardware tinkering.

    If Macs weren't overpriced and totally closed I'd own them myself. My biggest praise of Mac as a platform is Apple's attention to accurate color reproduction. You can get equal or better results with PC software and non-Apple monitors but it usually requires a decent bit of work.

    ReplyDelete