Friday, February 6, 2009

Chick Flicks Are Epic Fail: Redux


Fail.


So I'm catching up on my backlog of posts that I have half done, and came across this old article that I wanted to write about. If you don't want to click on the link, don't worry because I'll prolly sum up most of it here.

It's called, "Are Romantic Movies Bad For You?" Now I'd just like to say that I wrote about this in this very blog two years prior to this article being written. Are people just barely seeing the light NOW? Anyway, I'm digressing a lot sooner than usual in this post, possibly because I'm so disgusted. So apparently, according to the article:

"...researchers at Heriot Watt University's Family and Personal Relationships Laboratory in Edinburgh, which studies best practices in relationship counseling, completed a study of 40 Hollywood romantic comedies released between 1995-2005. They found that problems typically reported by couples in relationship counseling at their counseling center reflect misconceptions about love and romance depicted in Hollywood films."

Um...YOU THINK? As I said in the previous post I wrote on this topic:

"...Point #2. Another feature of chick flicks is that they're "love stories". (I always want to puke when I see the name of a movie and the subtitle is: "A Love Story".) Here's the deal. They feature stories that are improbable and would never happen in real life, and also unrealistically portray men as selfless, endlessly loving and patient, and hopeless romantics that will come along as the proverbial Knight In Shining Armor and then sweep you off your feet and ride off into the sunset. Now, don't get me wrong, I have plenty of male friends that are indeed selfless, loving, patient, and romantic, or at least they certainly can be when they occasion calls for it. But come one, people! These things don't happen in real life, and all women I have ever known KNOW this and COMPLAIN about it. Plus, it creates unrealistic expectations of men in the process which also isn't fair."

The article goes on to say:

"Relationship counselors often face common misconceptions in their clients — that if your partner truly loves you they'd know what you need without you communicating it, that your soul mate is predestined. We did a rigorous content analysis of romantic comedies and found that the same issues were being portrayed in these films," the university's Dr. Bjarne Holmes says."

/facepalm *headdesk* Rinse, repeat. Like, 100 times. UM, NO SHIT, SHERLOCK! More and more I'm becoming aware that people these days seem to be making the conversion to sheep. Or Lemmings. You're really going to believe some shit you saw in a sappy ass "rom-com"? (Even that phrase makes me nauseated.) There was some hope. Mary-Lou Galician, Head of Media Analysis and Criticism at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism & Mass Communication at Arizona State University, urged people to be cautious about internalizing the themes of said rom-coms. Yes. Please. Somebody, stop the madness.
.

2 comments:

  1. Not sure what surprises me more, that they felt the need to actually set-up a full study on romantic comedies, or that it's been that long since you started blogging... *Recalls having to convince you too start posting it for people to see*
    Good times, and a lot of good reading. (And a lot of " ... ")

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was shocked when I saw that I had done that post a little over 2 years ago. It's been SO LONG!

    And yes, you did have to convince me to start posting for people to see...you and Nemitz both. And to think that now you can't shut me up! See what you've done?!

    ReplyDelete