Saturday, November 22, 2008

60 Second Commentary - John Woo Presents: Stranglehold



I love John Woo. Well, his pre-Hollywood stuff...you know, The Killer, Hard Boiled, A Better Tomorrow - the trilogy, etc etc. You know, all the fight scenes that everyone and their mom totally jacked, and I believe that the Wachowski brothers based "bullet time" off of the aforementioned movies. Anyway, I also love Chow Yun-Fat. The man has style. And, well, I do love me the renegades. (Yes, even the Eminem collabo with Jay.) Batman? Check. Punisher? Check. Ghost Rider? Check.



So my take on the game? I know it's already been out, but hey, I finally got around to renting it for the 360 because I was having a bit of a lull with Warhammer. Anyway. Graphics are amazing. It's very true to John Woo's early style, and I love the fact that you get more points for stylish kills. My favorites are the running down handrails of staircases while killing 10 baddies, and of course the Chow Yun-Fat trademark of sliding down stairs backwards while killing 30 baddies at the same time. Only thing that I don't think is true to Woo's movies is that in this game you actually...RUN OUT OF AMMO. Yes, you really do.



My only complaint: The objectives in the game get repetitive and boring too quickly, especially for an ADD gamer like myself. Also, I honestly would have been happy with a straight forward FPS where you just kill all the bad guys and only have 1 or 2 objectives per level. I'm kind of into instant gratification that way, with my video games. If I'm playing an FPS, I prefer it to be simple. Kill the bad guys, and rescue the princess, without her being in another castle. Sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment