Wednesday, October 1, 2008

NFL DRAWMUH #5 - WTF?


1A. On Monday of this week, the Rams decided to fire Scott Linehan. They promoted defensive coordinator Jim Haslett to take over, hoping he can turn around their 0-4 record this season so far. LOL. Poor guy. The Rams owner was quoted as saying: "He took 100 percent responsibility for the failures of this organization, but we're all culpable," owner Chip Rosenbloom said. Here's where the hint of drama on the horizon began in Chip's comments - (Also, who the hell names their kid CHIP these days?)"We all share in the responsibilities of losing games. That includes the coaches, it includes the players, it includes the administration, it includes the ownership."

OH SNAP! I guess the president of football ops is being blamed for his shitty picks on draft day, and the President of the team is apparently, ALLEGEDLY considering retiring after this season.



1B. WTF is going on with the higher ups in the NFL? I didn't know they were so crazy. The Saints coach Payton was fined last week for talking smack to game officials, and now the Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has been fined as well for the same thing. And what a bitch Payton is, trying to appeal since Norv Turner didn't get fined for saying ONE critical word about a call..."unacceptable". Damn, someone smack him for being a whiner.



1C. Speaking of being fired, that crazy fool Al Davis finally fired Lane Kiffin, and replaced him with Tom Cable, the Raiders' offensive line coach. I gotta love Tim Kawakami of the Mercury News. He's great. He had some pretty choice comments in his story on the matter, with interspersed comments of my own:

Davis showed no outward familiarity with his offensive-line coach at all. Why would he act warmly? Al barely knows Cable. We'll see how long this one lasts — I'm guessing the Cable Raiders Death Watch probably starts in "... three weeks? Four weeks? (DAMNNNNNN!)

Hey, at least Cable was an excused absence from the meaty part of "King Lear," err, I mean, Davis' opening 45-minute monologue/harangue against fired coach Lane Kiffin on Tuesday. (Oy. Seriously? Al, what the fuck goes on in that head of yours?)

And Cable gets even more credit for refusing to disown his former boss, calling Kiffin a "friend" even as Davis' eyes narrowed. (Ruh roh, bad idea for your job security methinks) "I respect Lane Kiffin," Cable said. "I love the guy. I think he worked his tail off. However, whatever that's gone on here is between him and Mr. Davis, and I'll leave it at that." (Props to Cable for those comments, but again, not so good for job security.)

2. WTF is going on with the Giants and Plaxico Burress? As of last Saturday he's paying a penalty and being suspended for a game. He didn't show up to practice last week either, and apparently his agent says he's "tending to urgent family matters." Things that make you go HMMM. The plot thickens.



3. More drama with T.O. He basically says "JK!" to his postgame comments about Tony Homo after the Cowboys' loss to the Redskins. It was considered criticism, this is what he has to say on the matter: "I'm a competitor and I want the ball, everybody recognized that I wasn't really getting the ball in the first half. ... I'm pretty sure everybody watching the game recognized it, people in the stands recognized it. I think my team recognized it...

The "JK" moment came when he had an aopportunity to think about what he said and how it sounded. So then he states, "All I have said is I need more opportunities to help this team win, it's me being confident in who I am. It's not going to be the last time you hear me say I need the ball."

...

4 comments:

  1. I have a football blog and I like reading your posts better than the ones on Armchair Linebacker.

    One.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it because of my stupid Photoshop shenanigans? Or because I'm filled with such unholy glee that grown, uber-masculine men are capable of such amazingly interesting drama?

    I want to know.

    I'd be more than happy to send you my posts for your football blog if you like...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Diora:

    Basically, right now it's just a bunch of posters crying and whining about how horrible the season's going and how crappy their teams are. I used to be the happy guy...but since Tom Brady's injury I'm lumped in with the whiny complainers.

    Thank God for that bye week.

    One.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bah, men are so competitive sometimes. Football's a SPORT. It's a GAME!

    Anyways Mr. Patriots fan, you used to be the happy guy because...you're a Patriots fan. That's easy. For the past 7 years you guys have been like Bulls fans in the 90s. Now you can join the rest of the football fans because your dynasty is over and Matt Cassel turned out to be pretty epic failure.

    Sheeit. The manz is a Browns fan. Now you can feel HIS pain.

    ReplyDelete