Monday, August 4, 2008

LOLwut?



You know what I don't understand? People who only appreciate the topmost layer of something when its clear that there are multiple layers of shit to it. And I'm not trying to be all art fag/emo kid with it like "I'm a writer and understand things on multiple levels..." either. I mean stuff that's obviously more than one dimensional.

For example, when I went to see the Flobots, and Jonny5 said that people tell them all the time "Hey I love YOU guys, but I hate hip hop"! Like...okay...and these are the same people that probably like Outkast's "Hey Ya" and Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy". BOTH hip hop oriented, but played on rock music stations because it's seen as more "alternative" than anything. But seriously...how can you like the Flobots and hate hip hop? How can you love them and not see the influence of The Roots on their music? And oh god, how can you go to a Flobots concert and sit there all pissy till you hear "Handlebars"? (Yes, you young dumb silly bitches who were sitting next to me at the concert, I mean you.) Which is a good song, but not their BEST...simply the most radio friendly. And also...A friend of mine loves Banksy's art...but doesn't seem to care about the themes behind his artwork. He appreciates the art for art, and that's all. He doesn't give a flying fuck about politics, the government, or the -isms that seem to infuse all of Banksy's art in general, or even the other street/underground artists. How can you like the artwork and appreciate as art by itself without even caring about or trying to understand what's behind it? *le sigh*

I kind of wonder, what would the artists think if they talked to people like this? I wonder if they would just be like "WTF YOU TOTALLY MISSED THE POINT!" I know I would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment