Sunday, August 3, 2008

Banksy. The man, the myth...

...the underground insurgent graffiti artist legend. I've decided to write a little about him finally although I've known about him and his work for the last 2 years or so. He's British and originally did most of his art in and around England, but then branched out to the States, hitting up the Museum of Modern Art, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Brooklyn Museum and the American Museum of Natural History. He also traveled to Israel and hit up the West Bank barrier. You may also know him as one of the architects behind the shenanigans on replacing Paris Hilton's cds with his art and Danger Mouse's remixes. He's mostly known for his art though, and most of his artwork seems to be some sort of commentary on politics, pop culture, and society in general.

In any case, it seems like more and more cool people I've met that are into art and underground counterculture seem to really appreciate his work. [Shout out to P and Gen!] And, well, since I'm all about promoting the insurgence, I figured I'd post a few of his works that he's done in the LA area.

One awesome thing I'll say about Banksy, as opposed to the other "underground" artists, is that he thus far hasn't seemed to be a sellout. He doesn't sell pictures of the street art he's done, and he hasn't had any exhibitions in any commercial galleries. Word to not being a hypocrite and giving in to the evils of capitalism, old boy.

And now I'll leave you with an amazing fucking quote of his:

"Think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a fucking sharp knife to it."

Indeed sir...in-fucking-deed.









And my personal favorite...




Check out more of Banksy's art here.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a huge Banksy fan and I'm even MySpace pals with him. Supposedly they discovered who he was and made a big deal about it that he's "middle class" like that means anything at all or diminishes his art or message.

    SMH.

    BTW, You've inspired a new blog series I'm gonna entitle "No More Heroes". Look for the first installment later this month.

    One.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No More Heroes? I'll definitely check it out, but what's the premise gonna be? I just want to know how *I* inspired anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gonna be a mix between commentary on "Hero related" films and TV shows but the first one will deal with people with secret identities that some folks consider to be heroes (Banksy, Burial, etc.) and how people are trying to "out" them and how they forced Burial to reveal himself in the UK via the same kinda witch hunt they pulled on Banksy.

    I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be the first thing you've inspired, Diora.

    One.

    ReplyDelete