Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Random Musical Awesomeness

Several months ago I heard this song that was starting to get some radio play, a bunch of people were asking around to all their friends as to what the song meant, who was it by, etc, etc. The song was called "Handlebars". On KROQ, an alternative rock station out here in Los Angeles, they interviewed Jonny 5 on the phone about it, asking him about what it meant, what message was he trying to convey and such. Towards the end they asked a question that made me want to reach through the radio and strangle them..."Have you guys thought of maybe doing a remix or something...you know, for a happier ending? Because the ending is really depressing."

I have one thing to say to that:

...

That is all.

Fast forward 6 months later, and after having listened to the entire Flobots album, "Fight With Tools" about 50 times, knowing all the lyrics by heart, understanding that they seem to be as socially conscious and driven as I am, if not more so...and respecting them to the utmost for using music as a vehicle for change...my manz bought me tickets to their show at the House of Blues in Anaheim for my berday.

There are no words. None. They all blew me away with their performances. They all had amazing stage presence, and all were extremely multi-talented. I screamed my throat raw, and was sore the next day for how much clapping and fist pumping I did. I can't really say much more about how amazing and inspiring it was.

Here's a pic of the show taken on an iPhone, so its a wee bit blurry.




As soon as I got home that night, I registered for their website, www.fightwithtools.org, so I could be a part of their attempts at actually making social change in as many ways as possible, and waking up and freeing minds. I suggest you do the same.I'm Dioracat on the FWT website, so if you live in or around the LA area, sign up, send me a friend request, and maybe we'll be able to work together to help bring some real change to the world, too. Hell, if you don't live in the LA area, sign up anyway...they've got peeps coming together everywhere, all over the nation. Oh, and on a final note...I LOVE LOVE LOVE how Jonny 5, in the show, actually said, "Hey man, I love you guys, but I hate hip hop!"

Oh, and a final final note...the Crown City Rockers, my PEEPS from OAKTOOOOWWWN opened for them, and they were amazing as well. I suggest you check them out. www.crowncityrockers.com. I'm going to be buying their latest release as soon as its up.

On the totally opposite end of the spectrum, I heard Snoop's "My Medicine" today for the first time in the car. I actually /facepalmed in the car, and would have *headdesked* if I could, but, well, I was in the car, and the Asian female shenanigans while driving are enough without adding in more silliness. The jury is still out on whether or not its so bad, its come full circle to good, or if its so bad, it comes full circle to amazing...or if it's just awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment