Rac*ism (n) -
1. A belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. A policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. Hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
Looking at the description of what racism is makes me really think about how freely that word is thrown around in this day and age. To be honest I am not sure how well the first definition of the word matches with what racism has connotatively become to mean, and for reference's sake, let's include the definition for ethnocentrism in this little discussion, shall we?
Eth*no*cen*trism (n) -
1. Sociology. The belief in the inherent superiority of one's own ethnic group or culture.
2. A tendency to view alien groups or cultures from the perspective of one's own.
I felt the need to talk about the subject of racism here because it was very recently brought to my attention that it is believed that I'm racist. Let's be even more specific, though. My best friend/little brother has a quote of mine on his Facebook profile. I don't remember it verbatim, but it went something along the lines of..."I hate dogs. Well not all dogs, but most of them...sort of like white people, I hate them, but you can find a good one here or there." Taken out of context, yes, that damn sure did sound hateful and racist...but let's think about it for a moment...IT WAS TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT. I have no excuses or reasoning to say "Oh wait, no that didn't come out the way I meant it..." and I'm not ashamed I was quoted as saying so on what might be considered a public forum. (And as an aside, we just so happened to be talking about the numerous encounters with racism I've had with white people specifically, so *I* believe it to be justified.) However, an "ex" of his saw what I said and took it way too seriously, didn't bother confronting ME on the matter, and "assumed" quite a few things about me and my character, which thereby lowered my estimation of her by quite a bit. But hey, she's an ex and no longer involved in his life, so what do I care, ultimately...plus considering my LAST blog entry, "Fuck you, I'm me."
Never one to discount the possibility of having a trait that might be considered negative, I thought about this for some time. Am I racist? Taking the definition of the word literally, I'll address it per definition.
1. I don't feel that differences between the races make them any better or worse than each other. (And incidentally, shouldn't this sort of mean....stereotyping or perhaps racial profiling? Ah, well, I'm strictly going by this definition in any case.) I don't think all Asians are good at math, for fuck's sake I never got an A in any math class, nor am I particularly good at science, and I don't believe any member of my family is good at math either. Nor do I think black people are automatically better at sports because they're "built" that way, etc, etc. To make the comparison, I know plenty of Asians who can dance and play sports well and plenty of black people that are good at math. So whatever. And god help us if I felt that Koreans or even Asians in the broader sense needed to rule over everyone else...I don't know what the world would be like if we did, and I'd really rather not think about it.
2. See last two sentences of above statement.
3. Here's where we enter what's traditionally known as racism. Do I have a hatred or intolerance of other races? Yes, most definitely. I'm not afraid to admit it, and would be more than willing to do so to anyone at any time...I'm not ashamed of my feelings, and ALL of my hatred or intolerance is derived from DIRECT experience with said races. Going back to what I said earlier. Do I hate white people? Yes. Do I hate black people? I do hate a lot of black girls, and have no issues with black men, because I've never had negative experiences with them. Do I hate Hispanics/Latinos? I hate a lot of the women, and dislike a lot of the men (Mexican and Central American, usually...and yes I can tell the difference because of the way they speak Spanish. I WAS fluent in Spanish at some point in my life) because they're so god damned "I don't give a fuck" about eye-raping me on the regular. It's disrespectful. Do I hate Middle Easterners? No. I haven't really had any bad experiences with them that would make me hate them. Do I hate Asians? Yes. Do I hate Europeans? No, again because I haven't had any bad experiences with them. And just to cover EVERYONE, I don't have issues with Australians and have never met anyone from Antarctica.
The absolute bottom line here is this. I AM racist, yes. I DO hate other races. However, thinking back on my life in general, I've been, as Jay Z says, "fucked over, left for dead, dissed and forgotten" by EVERYONE. By my family, people I considered friends, and this goes BEYOND the color of their skin or ethnicity. I hate men as well, and I REALLY hate women. Again, all based on my own personal interactions with them. I sometimes hate myself, and most of the time hate everyone else regardless of what race they are. What it really boils down to though is...I am not so much a racist as a misanthropist. I detest the human race as a whole. I can't stand the human condition. People on the whole make me sick. People and their petty ideas and their greed and their selfishness make me wish I was born an animal and not a human being at all, fuck being higher up on the food chain. I don't trust very many people, and even if I SAY I trust you, let it be know I only let you about 75% of the way in...because I've been royally fucked over so many times I can't afford to let it happen again, not here, not now.
In closing, with all this said...let it be known that I hate you all. Each and every last one of you. :D Any one of my true close friends though, knows this and knows that despite the hate I feel for all human beings that I still do have the capacity to love them anyway. So the n ext time you hear me say some racist shit? Think about what you're hearing. You're really just hearing me hate people. And don't lie...you do too.