Sunday, February 25, 2007

Revocation of my ghetto pass??

I have a few things that I wanted to get off my chest this week. This may take a while so its probably best that I break it up into a few different posts.

First and foremost, since this relates to my other posts I made recently, I was in the office of one of the companies I worked for and was talking to a friend and an acquiantance, both guys. Now, let's call the friend...Eddie, and the acquaintance...Hugh. So, I initially came into Eddie's office to say hello, and Hugh just happened to be sitting in a desk right outside Eddie's office. Eddie had to take a phone call, so when he was on the phone, I leaned out to say hello to Hugh. We got to talking and Hugh discovered that I am a fan of hip hop. (Well, duh.) In any case we started talking about hip hop and of course I got all excited because honestly, who really, I mean REALLY likes music these days? I mean, truly likes music, as in all aspects of it. Lyrics, production, talent of the artist, etc etc. Anyway, I digress. Now I will admit that when I talk about hip hop, some of the Oakland in me does come out, it's totally unconscious when its happening, and I only realize it after the fact, usually because someone points it out.

So. Eddie gets off the phone and listens to my conversation with Hugh. He suddenly laughs and tells me that in his opinion it sounded REALLY wrong for me to be talking a little ghetto. I don't rememeber the words verbatim, but the gist of it basically seemed to me to be that he didn't think the ghetto was quite right coming out of my mouth. Now, I've lived in LA (specifically the Valley) for long enough now that by this point most of the time I pretty much sound like a "white girl" when I talk. This basically means that I have no accent and don't use any particular slang that would identify me as being black or Latina. But when the subject comes up, the ghetto comes out. I don't do it in purpose, I just can't help it.

My point here is: I was a wee bit on the outraged side when Eddie pointed out that the ghetto didn't "fit". I don't know which way he meant it exactly, but when someone says something like that, to me it seems like they're saying basically that you're a poseur. That you're frontin' on shit that you know nothing about. Which, for anyone who knows me, knows that is one of the BIGGEST insults you could ever give me. I mean, obviously I KNOW I'm not black. I don't think I am nor do I pretend to be. BUT! Is it really necessary to try and revoke my ghetto pass when you've only heard me talk like a white girl and all of a sudden the ghetto comes out?? Its not like it sounds "wrong", you just may not be USED to it is all.

Now Lord knows I am not in the business of justifying myself to people. If you think I'm real, then you do. If you don't then I don't need to convince you that I am...real recognizes real, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment