Wednesday, December 27, 2006

First Come, first served?

I've been thinking for a really long time about blogging, but then there came a point where it became just SO the trendy thing to do. Then I decided not to. Now, however, I just need some sort of creative outlet and I have stuff that I want to say. The first thing, for the grand total of TWO people that are going to be reading this (Yes, you Storm and Tomato) is to post something I wrote recently about racism and affirmative action. One thing that just kills me is when people tell me that racism no longer exists in this country. Wow, seriously? I'm sorry, but it does. Admittedly not in the way it used to, but let me quote one of my favorite artists in this:

"Racism still alive, they just be concealin it. But I know they don't want me in the damn club, they even make me show id to get inside of Sam's Club" - Kanye West "Never Let Me Down"

Honestly one thing that really sucks about living in Los Angeles is the fact that everyone wants to be so damned politically correct. Sure, no one's racist...to your FACE, but they sure will call me a gook or chink bitch behind my back. Sometimes I'd much rather have someone tell me how they really feel than be fake to my face and ultimately talk shit about me behind my back. And yes, that movie Crash? Call it melodrama, call it overly sentimental...but it damned sure WAS realistic in the portrayals of racism in LA.

So. Here's my little essay on racism and affirmative action:

I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but there are no longer any affirmative action policies allowed anywhere, in any institution in California, for about a decade now. There were so many complaints about reverse racism when affirmative action was legal that California passed Proposition 209 in 1996 making affirmative action, or showing preferencce in any form illegal.

I do firmly believe in meritocracy, however, because of the pervasiveness of racism/sexism/heterosexism/classism all throughout our country, (despite beliefs that racism no longer exists, interestingly) there would never be any such thing as a complete and total meritocracy. It's the human condition to want to "be better", and to complain about what's not "fair". We all did it in elementary school whenever an adult shows favor to someone else. "It's not FAIR!" you scream. "Why does HE get that, and *I* don't? I'm better!" You've always got to be better than someone else, because who wants to be that person that everyone is better than, right?

I don't think there were ever any actual findings on a job or entrance to an institution given to a minority rather than a white person. Interestingly enough, when there were studies done on affirmative action, 70% of the people that benefitted from it were white women. Not blacks, not Latinos, not Asians, but white women. After all, affirmative action was created to help marginalized people, NOT JUST minorities.

Affirmative action to me, is like Communism. Good idea in theory, but difficult to execute properly. It would require much bigger HR departments than exist now in any company, and diversity training would have to be mandatory in every corporation. That MIGHT be a start, but there would always have to be people making sure that no one was discriminated against and that people that are in charge of hiring would look at people's resumes objectively. Perhaps something that could be done is that when a job opening occurs at a company, all resumes could have the names deleted from them, and assigned a #. It's a little impersonal, but perhaps that way whoever was screening the resumes would only screen for skills and ability. Same with college applications. I did something like that myself when I worked in HR at Warner Brothers.

As far as being racist, of course we all are to a certain extent. However, I think I can safely say that I hate everyone equally. There are shitty people of every kind, whether your're basing your criticism on race, sex, religion, or sexual orientation. I think I CAN say with a clean conscience is that all of my "racist" tendencies are because of direct association with whatever group. I base all of my feelings on personal experience. If I've never experienced some negative quality in someone of a certain group, then I don't automatically label them even though other people might. *shrugs*

What it all boils down to, for me, is that people suck. Most people these days don't give a fuck about you, all they care about is themselves. Whenever I try and help people that are my friends, other people ask me why as if I'm crazy. "Why help them? Who cares? What did they ever do for you?" Perhaps it's because I'm from a collectivistic culture, I don't know. What I DO know is that more and more I wonder if I ever even want to have children. I don't really think I want to bring a child into this world when there's so much shittiness in it. Yes, there's some good, but there's a whole lotta bad out there. I'm sorry if I sound cynical and jaded, but...hey. It all comes from my own life experiences. I can only speak for myself.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the first post. Here's hoping there'll be many more.

    ReplyDelete