Saturday, December 30, 2006

Chick Flicks - And why they're a lose/lose situation for all parties.

I hate them, I can't stand them, they drive me absolutley fucking insane. I haven't watched what could be considered a chick flick since I was about...14. You couldn't PAY me to go to one, let alone have me pay to see one.

So...why do I think they're lose/lose? Well, here's the thing. Almost every woman I know always talks about how much they hate crying. They can't stand it, it makes them look weak/ugly/lame/retarded, or whatever. All right, I agree. I hate crying too, and for the same reasons. However...most chick flicks are purposefully engineered to MAKE you cry. So...why exactly would you go somewhere to PAY for something that makes you cry exactly? Where's the logic in that?

Point #2. Another feature of chick flicks is that they're "love stories". (I always want to puke when I see the name of a movie and the subtitle is: "A Love Story".) Here's the deal. They feature stories that are improbable and would never happen in real life, and also unrealistically portray men as selfless, endlessly loving and patient, and hopeless romantics that will come along as the proverbial Knight In Shining Armor and then sweep you off your feet and ride off into the sunset. Now, don't get me wrong, I have plenty of male friends that are indeed selfless, loving, patient, and romantic, or at least they certainly can be when they occasion calls for it. But come one, people! These things don't happen in real life, and all women I have ever known KNOW this and COMPLAIN about it. Plus, it creates unrealistic expectations of men in the process which also isn't fair.

Point #2a. Related to the above point...most women don't even REALLY want a guy like that anyway. All the nice guys out there always get screwed, and all the sensitive ones out there always get hurt. Its a fact. And why? Because for the most part (and yes I am making a generality here) women like a little bit of "bad boy" in their men. They don't REALLY want something easy, a man that always does what they want and caters to their every need. Oh no. Women want a CHALLENGE. They want to "help" a man "change" his ways. In the process however, they take a lot of crap and abuse and hope that they'll make a difference. Plenty of women I know (including myself, I admit it) have indeed had a man like the ones in the movies and were just plain bored with them. They asked how high when we said jump and we abused them like no other.

I wish more people would think about these things because I ultimately believe that things negatively affect relationships across the board, and lame movie companies are making money out of our relationship dysfunction.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I think you have a good point. Allow me to add to it:

    The worst thing I find about this kind of thing, be it chick flick, bad commercial, whatever, is that it subverts real emotions and feelings.

    Now, admittedly, I'm no expert, but when I get involved with someone, something, whatever, it's a natural progression and it comes along with a sort of life of its own. But if someone is working damn hard to exploit and manipulate those triggers and ideas, it kind of lessens the whole enterprise. At least, that's what I think.

    As a final sidebar, I may be one of those nice, sensitive guys myself, I guess. But I've never in my life been called boring by anyone. :)

    ReplyDelete